Once a year, Flint Energies selects four high school students to represent the Co-op as delegates for the Washington Youth Tour.
Flint Energies delegates will join hundreds of other students from across the country – all expenses paid – for an incredible week in our nation's capital. The tour is a fast-paced leadership opportunity to see what makes America tick. Flint Energies and Georgia EMC sponsor this program. Rising seniors will compete in a quiz and interview to test their co-op knowledge. Flint then selects four winners and sends them to Washington, D.C., all expenses paid. They will join winners from across Georgia and 44 states to network and learn more about our nation's capital.
The Washington Youth Tour, sponsored nationally by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) and statewide by Georgia Electric Membership Corporation (GEMC), is a jam-packed backstage pass to Washington, D.C. It offers high school students an unforgettable, life-changing leadership experience in our nation’s capital.
Since 1965, the Washington Youth Tour has given 1,650 students in Georgia – and more than 40,000 students nationwide – the opportunity to take part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The program was initially implemented at the request of President Lyndon Johnson to “send youngsters to the nation’s capital where they can actually see what the flag stands for and represents.” Find out more at NRECA.
If you know of a student leader who is ready for new experiences, geared up to network with young alumni of the program, and willing to learn more about themselves and their community, encourage them to apply for the Washington Youth Tour!
The deadline for the 2023 Washington Youth Tour application is January 23, 2023.
To qualify, you must:
- Be a high school junior who will be at least 16 years old by the tour's start day of June 15, 2023.
- Live in or attend a school in Flint Energies' service area - homeschool is eligible.
- Have your parent's permission to enter.
- Commit to participating in the Washington Youth Tour should you win.
How to apply:
- Complete the entry form, student's commitment and parent's authorization. The forms must be submitted online or postmarked no later than January 23, 2023.
- Submit one recommendation letter from a teacher, counselor, school administrator or a community mentor by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23, 2023.
Students who apply by the deadline will receive a study packet for the Youth Tour quiz, which will be held at the Flint Energies Member Center in Warner Robins or the Headquarters in Reynolds, depending on which location you select to test in. Mark your calendar for February 14, 2023 at 4:30 p.m., as this is the only day testing will be available.
The 10 applicants scoring highest on the quiz will be invited to a short interview held at a later date. Judges will select four winners and one alternate.
For more information, contact Blair Brown at email@example.com.